Sunday, September 11, 2011

The day the world stood still

Ten years ago I was watching in horror with the rest of the country when the second plane hit. I was with my mom who was visiting from West Virginia. She was supposed to fly home that day. She decided to get in the shower and then we would figure out what she would be doing. While she was in the shower, I watched the plane hit the Pentagon not knowing that my dad's office had been moved a few months before so that it could be renovated. I almost had a heart attack. I knew that his office was on the Helli-pad side and I had seen it as the plane flew over it and into the building. When my mom walked back into our living room she looked at me, cradled in the arms of my husband and asked, "What happened?" Surprisingly I wasn't crying. I always cry. I told her that the Pentagon had been hit and that it was the Helli-pad side. She said, "You know your Dad is not in the Pentagon right?" I am pretty sure I freaked out on her about that time. Something about them never telling me anything.

My mom then decided to call her sister so we could head over to their house. For some reason my Aunt Becky is the person everyone calls when there is a crisis, so we figured my dad would call there when he could. Looking back on that day I can see just how blessed my family was. My mom, although she was stuck in Salt lake for an extra few days was safe. My dad, stationed in DC with the army was a few miles away from the Pentagon, and safe. My brother Cody worked for the same company that my mom did and usually was traveling to South America. We are blessed that he happened to be at their offices in Virginia, not stuck in South America.

September 11, 2001 was a terrible day for our country and I thank Heavenly Father every day that our family was kept safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment